Cruising Cape Breton is the #1 Site for essential, up-to-date information for cruisers venturing to our island—as well as for new or experienced Cape Breton cruisers seeking new horizons. And, it's all FREE!
The book, CRUISE CAPE BRETON—The Yachters' Guide to the Bras d'Or Lakes, published much of this information. It's long out of print and dog-eared editions in existence contain outdated and erroneous information; reproduction of charts and illustrations in later editions was of very poor quality and several charts were omitted.
Much has changed since Cruise Cape Breton was first published 40 years ago—not only around the island, but also in the way we navigate and communicate. Today, with GPS and state-of-the-art electronics we navigate with a precision that was undreamt of back then. Change is continuous—any book-format guide is out-of-date before it's published. Here, as you can see from the "What's New?" column (right), we update our information frequently.
As few of us have the luxury of Internet access while under way—and reception of cellular-phone signals is often poor or non-existent—much of the useful reference material linked to, or contained within this website, may be downloaded in PDF-format for printing or storing on a laptop or tablet computer for use aboard your vessel—just look for the PDF symbol.
OR click to download everything with one click.
You'll need a PDF‑reader to view and print these documents—most web browsers include one. If you need one, simply click a button to download the popular Adobe® Reader® or the better Foxit® Reader for free. Several other PDF‑readers are also available for free on the Internet.
- Internal Links work without an Internet connection.
- External Links require an Internet connection.
This is a never-ending project, so check back for updates…
Use our "Contact Us" page to tell us what you think needs adding or changing. This is a purely volunteer project. Anyone wishing to contribute by providing suggestions, additional, or corrective information, or by writing material for inclusion in this website, should contact the authors. Keeping this information up-to-date and relevant is important and time consuming and all help will be greatly appreciated! Experience in web-design is unnecessary—You write it, we'll 'web-page' it! You're all invited to participate.
- Dec 11 - Georges River chart updated and info added
- Dec 10 - Crammond Islands chart corrected
- Dec 08 - New Website Download
- Nov 30 - Petit-de-Grat Harbour info corrected, Approach chart added
- Nov 24 - New Website Download
- Nov 23 - 2014 Tide & Current Tables installed
- Nov 20 - North Side East Bay chart redrawn
- Nov 19
- North Basin chart redrawn and info added
- Morrison Cove chart redrawn and info added
- Nov 17
- Christmas Pond chart redrawn and info added
- Clarke Cove chart revised
- Nov 14
- Pringle Harbour & MacLeods Pond chart redrawn
- Ross Pond chart redrawn
- Nov 13 - MacNabs Cove chart redrawn
- Nov 08 - Washabuck River chart redrawn and info updated
- Nov 02 - Ingonish Landing Marina info updated
- Nov 01
- Essential Publications revised
- Links page updated
- Oct 28 - Critical Services & Supplies updated
- Oct 26 - Maps for marinas, hospitals, and VHF weather transmitter stations made iPad® and Tablet-PC friendly
- Oct 03 - Critical Services & Supplies updated
- Sep 29 - St Peters Canal operating hours revised
- Sep 13 - Critical Services & Supplies revised
- Sep 03 - Weather Page updated
- Sep 01 - Bourgeois Inlet chart updated