- It's yours for the taking
- No trial period
- No advertisements
- No begging for donations
- No nagging to "upgrade"
- FREE to share with others
Read “What Cruisers Say…” about this site.
CRUISE CAPE BRETON—The Yachters' Guide to the Bras d'Or Lakes, published much of this information. It's long out of print and existing, dog-eared editions contain outdated and even erroneous information. Chart and illustration reproduction in later editions was of very poor quality and several charts were omitted.
New Features for 2014…
- Chart Books: Printable eBooks (PDF-files) with all the charts for each area of Cape Breton Island now on line.
- Photo Galleries: The Bras d'Or Lakes, St Anns Harbour, and Highlands Coast galleries have been started. Send pictures!
Much has changed since Cruise Cape Breton was written 40+ years ago—not only around the island, but also in the way we navigate and communicate. Now, with GPS and state-of-the-art electronics we navigate with a precision that was undreamt of then. Change is continuous—guides books are out-of-date before they're published. We update our information frequently, as you can see from the "What's New?" column (right).
This is a never-ending project, so check back for updates…
- Internal Links work without an Internet connection.
- External Links require an Internet connection.
Few of us have the luxury of Internet access while under way and cellular-phone signals are often poor or non-existent. So, much of the useful reference material linked to, or contained within this website, may be downloaded in PDF-format for printing or storing on a laptop or tablet computer for use aboard your vessel—just look for the PDF symbol. OR click Downloads to get everything with just a click.
You'll need a PDF‑reader to view and print these documents—most web browsers include one. If you need one, just click a button to download the popular Adobe® Reader® or the better Foxit® Reader for free. Several other PDF‑readers are also available for free on the Internet.
HELP! This is a purely volunteer project. Please contribute by providing suggestions, corrections, additional information, or by writing material for inclusion on this website. Keeping information up-to-date and relevant is important and time consuming and all help will be greatly appreciated! Just Contact Us.
Lock hours for 2014: CLICK HERE
|May 17 to Jun 27||8:00 am — 4:00 pm||Thursday through Monday|
|Jun 28 to Aug 11||8:00 am — 6:00 pm||Daily|
|Aug 12 to Sep 15||8:00 am — 4:00 pm||Daily|
|Sep 16 to Oct 1||8:00 am — 4:00 pm||Thursday through Monday|
|The lockmaster monitors VHF–10 or call (902) 535-2118|
Boats must arrive 30 minutes before the canal closes.
Tie-up for transit is on the western wall of the canal approach.
just intentions.” —David Skillings
—Robert Louis Stevenson
- Aug 18 - Bras d'Or Lakes eBook: McPhee Islands chart & info added
- Aug 16 - Isle Madame BC info updated
- Aug 15 - Ross Ferry Marine Park info updated
- Aug 14 - Info added to Charts Page
- Aug 13 - Photos added to Highlands Coast Gallery
- Aug 10 - re: St Peters Inlet Overview
- Chart and info consolidated
- Bras d'Or Lakes eBook updated
- Jul 31 - Revised App Download
- Jul 25 - Link added to Links Page
- Jul 21 - Highlands Coast Photo Album started
- Jul 20 - re: Little River Harbour
- Chart and info revised
- Highlands Coast eBook updated
- Jul 08 - Article "The Ultimate Cruising Destination" added
- Jul 05 - re: Lennox Passage Br.
- Chedabucto Bay key chart revised
- Chedabucto Bay eBook updated
- Charts page updated
- Jul 01 - Revised App Download
- Jun 27 - Chedabucto Bay key chart revised and Chedabucto Bay eBook updated
- Jun 25 - Baddeck Harbour chart revised and Bras d'Or Lakes eBook updated
- Jun 04 - Services & Supplies updated for pumpout stations
- Jun 01 - Revised App Download
- May 24 - St Peters Inlet chart and Bras d'Or Lakes eBook updated with 2014 Lock hours
- May 18 - Lennox Passage YC info updated
No Boat? No Problem!Captain Greg offers half or full-day, hands-on sailing charters.
Like to try Sailing?Join Captain Greg for a half or full-day, hands-on sailing experience.
Never Sailed?Join Captain Greg for a half or full-day, hands-on sailing experience.
“Beautiful Bras d'Or”An excellent article by Glen Cairns in Canadian Yachting —January 2014